I’m saddened by the level of hate and tragedies happening in our country. Last week a man executed two black people at a grocery store, but didn’t engage a white man outside because “whites don’t shoot whites.” "An extremist and follower of white supremacists sent bombs in the mail to the president’s opposition. An avowed anti-Semite walked into a synagogue and killed 11 people, screaming, “All Jews must die!” This is truly painful, but it’s important for each of us to unite and spread the love. Diversity and Inclusion are important to me in the workplace because it gives all of us an opportunity to unite, learn, share, support, grow and take action. These violent acts affect us, friends, family, and colleagues, and it’s important for all of us to be empathetic and mindful.
You can create change by taking action! Below are a variety of ways you can take action and share with employees at your company:
1. Empathy and Emotional Support: Check-in with your team to see if they want to have an open discussion with D&I leader. The societal political trauma may be directly or indirectly affecting your team performance.
2. Community Involvement: Talking to people in your community about various ways they can take action to help create change.
3. Flex Your Skills: Find an organization that is focused on unity, peace, and equality to help develop their site or re-design. Maybe help with marketing, offer legal advice or financial advice.
4. March and Take a Stand: March and taking a stand against hate! Encourage others that love and support you to join. Post your experience on social media to positively influence followers.
5. Family Time: Sharing with family, including children the power of peace, love, unity, and equality for all humans. Children are the future and they have the power to create change at a young age by seeing positive examples.
6. Write Content: Create content on social media shedding light on hatred and emphasizing peace, love, unity, and equality for all humans.
7. Financial Support: Financially support organizations fighting for peace, unity, and equality.